Sesame Rice Noodles with Julienned Vegetables and Eggs
These rice noodles are insanely delicious. The slippery noodles get bathed in a simple sesame and ginger vinaigrette and are tossed with crisp julienned vegetables, slivered eggs, cool mint, hot Sriracha, peanuts and sesame seeds. Mmm. It’s a light and refreshing break from our weekly routine.
The egg component is completely optional. I often make a thin omelet for Ella, enriched with slivered greens or nori, which I roll up and slice crosswise. She loves her “curly eggs.” One night I was making rice noodles and planning on serving eggs on the side, when I decided to toss everything together instead. The result was a revelation.
The noodles are still great on their own without the eggs (in which case I like to shred some nori over top), and I bet they’d also be great with shredded chicken or flaked salmon.
I julienne the vegetables on my mandoline, which makes quick work out of them. But you can use a chef’s knife instead (it’s a great opportunity to work on your knife skills!). Either way, for the squash and cucumber, work around the vegetable, tossing the inner seed core in the compost bin.
You can serve the noodles warm, at room temperature, or cold. Don’t forget another drizzle of Sriracha!
- ⅓ cup brown rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (use a mild one), divided
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon Sriracha, to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on microplane
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, julienned on mandoline or by hand
- 1 yellow squash, julienned on mandoline or by hand
- 2 Persian cucumbers or ½ English cucumber, julienned on mandoline or by hand
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 3 large eggs
- ½ sheet nori, thinly sliced with kitchen scissors
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup peanuts, plus additional for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, whisk together the brown rice vinegar, ⅓ cup olive oil, toasted sesame oil, Sriracha to taste, garlic and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Add the julienned vegetables and scallions. Toss to coat.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with water. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Beat in the nori. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Once hot, add the eggs and tilt to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook until the bottom is set, about 1-2 minutes. Flip the omelet and cook until other side is set, about 30 seconds. Slide omelet out onto a cutting board and let cool slightly. Roll the omelet up and thinly slice it crosswise. Add it to noodles, along with the cilantro, sesame seeds and peanuts. Toss to combine.
- Divide the noodles into serving bowls and garnish with a peanuts and cilantro leaves and a drizzle of Sriracha.