Sesame Rice Noodles with Julienned Vegetables and Eggs
These rice noodles are insanely delicious. The slippery noodles get bathed in a simple sesame and ginger vinaigrette and are tossed with crisp julienned vegetables, slivered eggs, cool mint, hot Sriracha, peanuts and sesame seeds. Mmm. It’s a light and refreshing break from our weekly routine.
The egg component is completely optional. I often make a thin omelet for Ella, enriched with slivered greens or nori, which I roll up and slice crosswise. She loves her “curly eggs.” One night I was making rice noodles and planning on serving eggs on the side, when I decided to toss everything together instead. The result was a revelation.
The noodles are still great on their own without the eggs (in which case I like to shred some nori over top), and I bet they’d also be great with shredded chicken or flaked salmon.
I julienne the vegetables on my mandoline, which makes quick work out of them. But you can use a chef’s knife instead (it’s a great opportunity to work on your knife skills!). Either way, for the squash and cucumber, work around the vegetable, tossing the inner seed core in the compost bin.
- ⅓ cup brown rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (use a mild one), divided
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon Sriracha, to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on microplane
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, julienned on mandoline or by hand
- 1 yellow squash, julienned on mandoline or by hand
- 2 Persian cucumbers or ½ English cucumber, julienned on mandoline or by hand
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 3 large eggs
- ½ sheet nori, thinly sliced with kitchen scissors
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup peanuts, plus additional for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, whisk together the brown rice vinegar, ⅓ cup olive oil, toasted sesame oil, Sriracha to taste, garlic and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Add the julienned vegetables and scallions. Toss to coat.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with water. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Beat in the nori. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Once hot, add the eggs and tilt to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook until the bottom is set, about 1-2 minutes. Flip the omelet and cook until other side is set, about 30 seconds. Slide omelet out onto a cutting board and let cool slightly. Roll the omelet up and thinly slice it crosswise. Add it to noodles, along with the cilantro, sesame seeds and peanuts. Toss to combine.
- Divide the noodles into serving bowls and garnish with a peanuts and cilantro leaves and a drizzle of Sriracha.